Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Two days into a 1:1

Our lhs2.0 group has just deployed 180 netbooks (hp mini) to our students. Here's what I've encountered so far...

- -> We can pull off a deadline!: - The entire extended team, from administration to instructional coaches, a dedicated IT department, and especially the teachers, worked hard to get this thing in on time. The word of the week was "patience" and I think we've all weathered it quite well.

--> Framing a shift to 1:1 education needed to be better: Though we are inevitably learning as we go at the moment, perhaps we could have handled things a bit better. If your district is thinking about switching to 1:1, be sure to take a good deal of time in discussion with parents, take the time to meet and anticipate as a cohort, and share your influences and discoveries a whole lot. If there's one thing that I wish we had done differently, it was to better share the vision and research that has led us to this point. This blog is the first step in trying to rectify that error.

--> I have more time: Wow. By having every student able to access anything that we want to know or create, and engaging them in learning about and setting up their new tools, I am finding that I have more valuable time freed up in the classroom. I have time to meet with students one on one, I can take a second to edit my instructions and repost them online, I can fix the broken hyperlink or confusing instructions. It's not like I've freed up time for grading or taking care of paperwork and emails, it's that I've shifted my use of the time towards more student-directed engagement.

--> The "Others": The classes that I teach that don't have access to the netbooks already feel antiquated and overly stifling. I teach the same "prep", or course curriculum, in two entirely different ways each day. My first and last classes of the day do not have access to netbooks, and most of the course is centered around some form of whole group instruction. Today I found myself really wishing that every kid had access to what my lhs2.0 kids are using in class. I don't think it will be too long before the inequity becomes a talking point in our district. I am hoping that this will push our community towards a discussion about the need for a major shift towards providing every student the opportunity to access and create digital information. The sooner that conversation starts, the better. And those of us who are in this right now, have to be ready to share what we are finding out as we move forward so that the conversation is informed by our experiences.

--> Prep time: When I take the time to set up a good experience for the students, they learn more. I am hoping to spend a bit more time carefully setting up the process by which the students engage information and develop skills. I'm not sure that I can "wing it" in the classroom at the moment. The planning is crucial right now.

--> Have a project leader that isn't teaching in the classroom: It has really helped to have instructional coaches to this point. While the classroom instructors and students work away in their separate classroom, the instructional coaches provide an important overview and support role that allows our cohort the ability to proceed. Shifting to a 1:1 initiative is a massive institutional upheaval and it helps to have instructional coaches as advocates and partners.

--> A leap: This whole initiative is based on the solid belief that teachers want to help students learn, and that students want to learn. I am sold on the notion that education is more different, and more exciting, than it ever was before. We have an unprecedented ability to access, share, and create information. Our students are entering a world that we could not have imagined when most of us learned to teach. And it is through the vision, caring, and dedication of teachers that recognize this unique opportunity to aid in transforming education to match the tremendous shift that has occurred in this digital age, that we will have any hope of meeting the needs of this most unique generation of students.

2 comments:

  1. Sean,

    I had the opportunity to see the hard work of the 2.0 team in action when I covered one of Foyn's classes yesterday. The students were completely engaged and on task. They were eager to read the forum posts of their classmates and give feedback. I've also had students (one of which I've had in class before and was always less than enthusiastic about her education) in the 2.0 program approach me about using their netbooks in my class. It is great to see that the 2.0 program and use of netbooks has motivated these students. As I was in Foyn's classroom, I thought about how different our school district would be if "the others" had netbooks as well. Hopefully this is something that will happen in the future. The 2.0 program and grant is definitely as step in the right direction. Kudos to everyone involved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You better stop this communist manefesto reflecting. I loved when I could use even one computer for each pair. My discussions and lessons were more "Available" to them in real time. My attitude was better, and now that I have read the testing with Shelley and Tke your time by Allen November I feel I am still on the right track. Foyn

    ReplyDelete