Friday, January 28, 2011

Give a man a fish, etc. - 5 days into a 1:1

When I was student teaching, Dan Leary, a great Cleveland public school teacher, said to me, "When you teach something, you learn it twice."  Since then, I've continued to find his statement to be true.  I love the learning experience that I have when I teach.  I find out so much from the questions of my students, and I am forced to confront new perspectives on the texts that we study. 

In the last few days, I've stumbled on what I think is a pretty good new learning practice for my classroom.  I shouldn't say that this is a new idea.  I'm surround by teachers that have found this out a long time before I came along.  Now, though, the questions come at a furious pace.  With 25 students, each with the ability to access and create anything that is imaginable, the classroom atmosphere is one of equal parts discovery and frustration.  The students are learning how to set up their Google Reader accounts, they are learning how to create and maintain a blog that displays their learning, and they are running into all kinds of obstacles on their paths to achieving our class goals.  So I thought up this "new" thing...

When any student in my class has encountered some kind of barrier to their access or creative capabilities, they are not allowed to raise their hand.  Instead, the student with the question has to ask everyone at their table for help.  If the team cannot come up with a solution to the student's problem, the whole table has to raise their hands in unison.  At this point, the class has to give the group its' attention, during which the questioning group solicits help from anyone in the room (including me, though as simply another member of the class).  If nobody can solve the issue, I learn how to overcome the problem in front of the whole class, with their input along the way.  I tried an early version of this today, and it was great to see a community develop around issues of learning.  I didn't have to answer a single whole class question, therefore providing me with more time to circulate around the room and devote myself to individual guidance, support, and feedback.  All the while, the room was buzzing with the sounds of students helping each other learn.

1 comment:

  1. Be prepared for the "backlash" from the students that want the answer to puke back. I tell them the first day don't think I have all the answers. Togther this class is much smarter than me, (Not really but it makes them feel good). Im looking forward to the 1st group that can show me how to work the technology, that will open the room up like nothing else, Foyn

    ReplyDelete